This is what the Lord asks of you, only this,
to act justly, to love tenderly,
and to walk humbly with your God.
Founded in 1873 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, a teaching order from Germany, Notre Dame Preparatory School is one of Baltimore's oldest Catholic, college preparatory schools for girls.
The school's original mission, to foster academic excellence, spiritual growth and practice of social justice in its students, has inspired more than 6,000 living alumnae and continues to inspire the approximately 800 girls currently enrolled in grades 6-12.
SCHOOL MISSION STATEMENT
Where Girls Become Women Who Transform the World
Notre Dame Preparatory School educates and empowers girls to become women who transform the world. As a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls in grades 6 through 12, Notre Dame Prep inspires students to pursue academic excellence, spiritual growth and the practice of justice. Infused with the spirit of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and rooted in the teachings of the Catholic Church, the NDP community strives to answer God’s call “…to act justly, to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with God.” (Micah 6:8)
- We believe that health in mind, body and spirit is witness to the sacred dignity of all persons.
- We believe that education grounded in the Gospel fosters wisdom and spiritual growth.
- We believe that single sex education develops confident women who are independent thinkers.
- We believe that a challenging and nurturing educational program best serves the needs of adolescents.
- We believe that tradition must be balanced by openness to change.
- We believe that demonstrating genuine personal integrity is at the foundation of the authentic self.
- We believe that direct experience of leadership develops courage and fortitude.
- We believe that commitment to experiences beyond the classroom is a critical part of self-discovery.
- We believe that respecting the dignity of all people creates a welcoming, trusting and compassionate community.
- We believe that intentional stewardship affirms the reality that we belong to a global community linked to all creation.
- We believe that our solidarity with the world calls us to serve persons who are marginalized.
- We believe that courageous pursuit of systemic change, wherever needed, will transform the world.
Academic Excellence - A graduate from Notre Dame Preparatory School:
- Has a broad foundation of knowledge able to support a lifetime of learning
- Understands her learning process and has developed effective study skills and habits
- Thinks critically and creatively to solve problems
- Has both the confidence to lead and the humility to collaborate
- As a self-directed learner, sets goals, evaluates information and realizes objectives
- Approaches new situations with an open mind and critical eye
- Effectively uses innovative technologies
- Speaks and writes effectively
- Develops a deep appreciation for the arts
- Remains curious and chooses to pursue an intellectual life
Spiritual Growth - A graduate from Notre Dame Preparatory School:
- Prayerfully develops a personal relationship with God and a deep appreciation for the gift of faith
- Explores her God-given talents as she seeks to discover and follow her passion
- Understands the teachings of the Catholic Church
- Recognizes that genuine success requires harmony in mind, body and spirit
- Makes healthy decisions based on ethical principles and demonstrates moral integrity through her behavior
- Creates and nurtures quality relationships
- Values the dignity and uniqueness of all persons
- Seeks to discover the positive contribution she can make to the world
Practice of Justice - A graduate from Notre Dame Preparatory School:
- Is personally accountable for her actions
- Ethically uses information
- Intentionally educates herself about local and global issues
- Demonstrates a strong sense of teamwork and fair play
- Reverences our earth and its resources
- Defends the dignity of all persons through empathy, compassion and respect
- Engages in acts of direct service and supports charitable causes
- Advocates for persons who are marginalized and works to create systemic change